Shift Happens

You know I really don't understand this whole idea of Prop 8 in California and Prop 102 in Arizona passing.

Arizona's prop 102 passing is no surprise. As far as red states go this place is practically crimson, save for that beautiful patch of blue to the north: Flagstaff wasn't going to fall for the deceptive, hate filled propaganda that were the add campaigns of prop 102. Spun o' so slickly into wording that would mislead the average voter, or the average bear; being smarter than both that was not the case for me.

Ah Flagstaff, I miss you, a patch of cool blue in a sea of red. If it just wasn't so Goddamn cold up there I would probably live there. But I hate the cold, and no amount of lattes or snow bunnies will change that. But we would both have fun with them trying ;)

My dirty mind aside for now, back to my tirade. Cocinino County was also the only spot in the state that didn't fall for Mccain's bullshit. Again, the place with the most intelligent people in the state; Flagstaff ,are the only redemption for the rest of the Kool-aid drinkers. I am well aware that I am not the only liberal in Az outside of Flag. (sure seems that way at times) but I loved the way that Cocinino County just gave Mcsame the finger.

I think back to election day with all the "good wholesome families" out in front of polling sites in Phoenix protesting with their "say yes to marriage" signs. A mild annoyance, but these people had their children out protesting was the most disturbing thing for me. Children. Yeah, lets start the hatred and ignorance early. Indoctrinate them while they're young. Which is probably why most of Az is one of the most backward thinking, non-progressive culturally bereft places I have had the displeasure of living. Teaching your children hatred is WHY there is so much entrenched and institutionalized racism, sexism and homophobia (Yeah, I said it)These parents are also the same people who thought that Obama was a terrorist, Reagan-omics was a good thing, and the invisible man who lives in the sky hurls thunderbolts at everyone but them. I am SO glad that McCain lost. If he had won I was gonna say fuck this and go AWOL and would be on the next flight to Canada, or better yet Amsterdam. But Romy, these places are cold too you might say. But what I would loose in temperature I would gain in agriculture: puff on that for a bit.

Again, AZ and Prop 102 I can understand. But CALIFORNIA?!? WTF!?! Prop 8 was the scariest thing to come out of Cali since they elected a fucking cyborg as their Governor. (I don't care how bad ass his movies were) The irony is they seem to care more about animals than people. To paraphrase one of my crushes Chrissie Hynde 'Don't get me Wrong' I do not believe in animal cruelty. In fact; a couple of weeks ago I went to PETA's website: http://www.peta.org/ . Fucked my shit ALL up. Shifted a few paradigms. Hey when evolving, shift happens. I started Master Cleanse and am slowly changing my diet. THAT'S how big a shift it was. That's another blog for another day. I think we need to evolve in our ideas of what is food and who is entitled to love.

The second one is easy. Everyone should be entitled to love and marry whoever. It is my humble opinion that we are the all singing all dancing crap of the world. Being the most sentient meat puppet with the most brain capacity we should be stewards of the Earth. That means that we need to allow for, to fight for the freedom of others. America last week proved that it can live up to its own hype and acknowledge that ALL men are created equal. Lets go a little further on that promise to be that shining city on the hill and make sure to remember that people also have a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness....Everyone.

And as for African-Americans voting down Gay marriage. The Irony is jarring. Are we saying that there are not Gay Blacks. Are we, who were so long oppressed and told where we can go, where we can piss, who we can love; are we going to deny the rights of others. We, if ANYONE should know how it feels and fight to keep that from happening to anyone else, its US. No matter your orientation we all bleed the same. As an African-American (with a lot of other stuff) I am offended by the very notion that we would be against the Gay Rights in any way. Having taken shit all my life because my tan is better than yours I will fight for the rights of my brothers and sisters be they White, Black, Gay, Straight, Klingon or Betazoid. If I'm stuck on this giant mud ball I'm going to leave it a better place than when I found it.

Well. Tirade's over. I'll see you on the flip side of infinity.

Romy

Comments

Popular Posts